Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stump Jump 50K

Stump Jump 50K http://www.rockcreek.com/stumpjump/default.asp is a race right here in my own back yard... how could I pass it up? Not only is it one of the most technical and harder 50k's around... it also features some of the most breath taking views you'll ever see during an ultra distance race.

Trey and I started the race together and ran a strong pace out of the gate. We ran up on our friend Brian about 3-4 miles in and yo-yoed back and forth with him until Snooper's Rock. At Snooper's Rock I kept running the same pace, but Trey said he was going to back off. He just didn't "feel it" during the race. I kept waiting on Brian to appear again, but he did not. I rolled through the Haley Road aid station only to stop for a quick refill of water in my pack and then ran thru the Mullen's Cove aid station only to drop down to the Indian Rock House in less than a mile. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to refill again. Finally after making it back across Suck Creek Road and then to Mushroom Rock... my pack was bone dry and I was bonking hard. I stopped for a water refill and saw teammate Sal Coll volunteering. He knew I wasn't feeling well and decided to run it back in with me. That last 3 miles seemed like 10!!! Finally the finish line appeared after a short trek on some asphalt. It was so nice to be done!! Immediately upon finishing... I saw Trey. Crap... he dropped! It didn't seem to bother him though... so I was happy he wasn't upset about it. Sometimes we have days like this. It is inevitable that it happens to us all at some point. After sitting around for a bit... we saw Brian finish and he looked good. He too was surprised Trey had dropped, but knew he had not been feeling well.


I ended up nabbing 7th overall female out of a solid field of women competitors and beating my time from the previous year by 8 minutes.

After talking with fellow runners.... Dee Martin of Archer Physical Therapy http://www.archerpt.com/ took a look at the backs of my ankles and ended up taping my right one. This may sound crazy..., but I think it actually helped!

Stump Jump 50k is likely an event that I will continue to do year after year simply because it is on some of the best trails around!

No comments: