Monday, May 18, 2009

Twisted Ankle 1/2 Trail Marathon....

Trey and I ran the Twisted Ankle 1/2 Trail Marathon on Saturday. The race is in Summerville, Ga and is approximately 1 hour from our house. We were the only Chattanoogans signed up for the 1/2. Most everyone else came up from the Atlanta area or came in from other larger cities within 2-3 hours away.
On the drive down to the race I wasn't feeling so spectacular. Can't put a finger on exactly how I felt, but I just didn't feel like I had "it". We've all felt like this at some point. Needless to say.. going into the race.. I wasn't gonna place any expectations on myself.

We started the race and upon mile 2 was the biggest damn hill I've ever seen in my life. Nothing could have prepared me for this!!! Needless to say EVERYONE was walking this mother. I saw no one running it. Probably lasted for 3/4 of a mile... felt more like 2 miles! Once we were at the top I started feeling sick and my stomach was in knots... had to stop and walk for a bit. Trey said I must have gas and told me to get rid of it!! YEAH... like it's that easy to do! We walk for 4-5 minutes and during this time I was passed by 4-5 girls. ARGH... why was this happening to me! Finally the knots went away and I began to jog and eased back into my run. Somehow I was able to go faster and faster and before I knew it I had passed every female that passed me during my little episode! The last bit of the race was a gnarly downhill then it flattened out. On the downhill I was able to pass a few more girls and gained a 1/2 mile or so on the last one I passed. Upon crossing the finish line I learned that I was 3rd overall female! YAY!!

Now.. let's hope the stomach issues never creep up on me again... ugh....

3 comments:

Mark Mason said...

No mention of Trey "The Natural Talent That Makes Us All Sick" Campbell placing in his division? Man !...Snubbed ! :-) Nice run, Dreama. You're just getting faster and faster. ~mark

Dreama said...

Well.. Trey is just a freak. We love to hate him! LOL

cheryl said...

the gastro troubles are the worst! You train so hard, and why does the stomach have to rebel on you during a race, doesn't it understand its not supposed to do that!

great job despite that! You are the queen of trail running!