Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An amazing day in the woods.....

Sunday our little trail running group met for a run on the Cumberland Trail / Possum Creek Segment. http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/possum.html Some of the group turned back early and 4 of us went out longer.

This particular segment is known as the "the hardest" segment around here. When we run it.....we know what we are in for (lots of elevation gain/loss & some really technical areas). With the freshly fallen leaves on the trail it made things a bit harder as well.... as you can imagine. Not knowing what exactly is under them can sometimes lead to slipping or twisting an ankle, but it's all worth it to me. Seeing all of the brilliant colors each tree had to offer was simply breathtaking. Why can't it last longer?! Seems like there is a 2-3 week window of opportunity to soak it all up.... and then it's gone..... The trees are left bare and everything is ugly again till spring arrives.

The lack of foliage does not keep us off the trail for the harsh winter months as many would think. Instead we engage heavily in big miles and "train up" for some rather grueling events. I am certain I would go mad if I were told I could not run on trail in the winter months as it's the only type of running that I find peace within. With all this said..... I'd like to tell Old Man Winter...."bring it on......you can't stop me"!






Here is a picture of the new bridge just built at the first creek crossing.

No comments: