Saturday, September 6, 2008

Frantic Frog Triathlon.....

This morning I got up at the crack of dawn to head down to Scottsboro, AL for the Frantic Frog Traithlon. Cat and I carpooled down for this and ran into some nasty rain on the way. We were just certain this rain was going to ruin the event, but thankfully it cleared up and made for quite a nice day.



Packet pick-up and getting set-up in transition area went well. We then headed over to the dock where we would have an interval timed jump in style swim. My swim went horrible... largely due to the fact that I have NOT been swimming a lick. Just showing up on race day and winging it is not advisable by the way ; ). I know better than this, but I got so burned out during Ironman training with endless hours in the pool and without a big "goal event" looming it's been easy to slack on the swimming! On to the bike.... this goes much better for me as I'm passing a ton of folks very easily and seem to only have been passed by 1 or 2 guys. After the bike I gear up for the 3.1mile run begging my legs to please run. The run went okay, but I can tell that I've let speed fitness go to the wayside as I've been doing more "endurance" type running. Guess that's why I hate these short distance races so much as the endurance events are more my thing.

After the race results are posted and I learn that I'm 5th overall female. Not too bad for someone who hasn't really been triathon specific training lately. Two years ago I placed 3rd overall female, but this year that placement would go to Lisa Becht (one of my trail running friends)..... so I'm cool with that! Actually.... Chattanooga swept this race in the awards. Most notable is Jeff Gibson who took 1st overall in the race. Congrats to all who did this race today!

No comments: